Attempting to cook as many recipes (not all since I couldn’t possibly get hold of all the ingredients) as I could from Alison Roman’s first cookbook “Dining In.” This project is inspired by this website. I love the idea of rating recipes by emojis! And since this quarantine life has all forced us to make shit from scratch, I’ve been surprised by how much I enjoy cooking and baking new recipes, not to mention a newfound enthusiasm for photography. So why not embark on this Julie/Julia project and practice all these hobbies in one dizzying effort to survive this tough year.
1. ANCHOVIES-BUTTER CHICKEN WITH CHICKEN FAT CROUTONS
So delicious with the anchovies melting with the herbs and butter extravaganza.
2. SLOW SALMON WITH CITRUS AND HERB SALAD
I skipped the herb salad because fresh rosemary and thyme are expensive and limited in this side of the world. The salmon was mild tasting. I’ve had better salmon recipes.
3. SALTED BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE CHUNK SHORTBREAD
Not for those who like extra soft and chewy cookies, but still delicious in its own shortbread way.
4. SHRIMPS IN THE SHELLS WITH LOTS OF GARLIC AND PROBABLY TOO MUCH BUTTER
Delicious but nothing new.
5. GRILLED EGGPLANT DRESSED WITH GARLICKY WALNUTS AND LOTS OF BASIL
Addictive! The ricotta and savory eggplant, mixed with a gazillion basil, brought tears to my eyes. Charot.
6. CRISPY KIMCHI AND CHEDDAR OMELETTE
It never occured to me that cheese and kimchi went so well together. This is one of my favorites!
7. OLIVE OIL FRIED LENTILS WITH CHERRY TOMATOES AND A CHILE-FRIED EGG
It’s like delicious fried rice, except it’s not rice, it’s lentils.
8. HONEY YOGURT POUND CAKE WITH BLUEBERRIES
Very comforting, home(y) blueberry cake. Eating this bread cake reminds me of a tasty, moist banana bread. Feels like a sweet hug.
9. IMPOSTOR AL PASTOR
Never thought in a million years that I could cook tacos at home. I did not make the tortilla but everything else, I prepared. Thanks, AR! Delicious!
10. SLOW ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH GARLIC, CITRUS, AND CILANTRO
Delicious, melt-in-your-mouth pork loin doused in citrus and garlic juice.
11. FROZEN STRAWBERRIES WITH YOGURT AND HONEY
So sad I used bad-tasting yogurt. It ended up tasting like beer, beer and yeast. I’m planning to redo this in the future.
12 / 13 THE ONLY PIE CRUST / DOUBLE CRUST APPLE PIE
Classic apple pie, great addition to any beginner baker’s repertoire.